Sunday, 7 August 2011

Exiled from Tweetsville!


For the past 2 weeks I have been working for an organisation where SoMe is not permitted in company time or on company equipment and so I have been very much out of the loop. This is very frustrating and if it were not for a few snatched minutes reviewing tweets via my phone in coffee & lunch breaks I would have been completely cut off. 

The fact that I do feel cut off is quite revealing in that I only joined the world of SoMe a couple of months ago and it demonstrates the added value this has had for me particularly in terms of communicating, sharing and learning with my PLN.

I have not been able to comment, tweet or re-tweet apart from evenings and weekends which makes the relatively poor weather today something of a mixed blessing in that I have been able to complete one blog post and am now able to complete this one as well and have had the time to join in a little.  

My curation tools described in today’s other blog posting keep me up to date in terms of information but do not make up for the lost opportunities to communicate and discuss issues. 

Bearing in mind my situation it is interesting to note the appearance of commercial SoMe tools that are being developed to enable internal communication within companies – I read just this morning that LinkedIn are looking to develop a Yammer type tool for internal organisational use.

For organisations such as the one I am currently working for this may help them develop some trust in such tools and to derive some benefit but as pointed out in There are no successful social media implementations inside firewalls by Esko Kilpi via Riitta Raesmaa  may not actually be much help in making the most of  the opportunities provided by using SoMe tools with an external audience.

As I have found to my own benefit it is the opportunity to connect with a wide range of people and with their connections that brings the richness to SoMe and so keeping it inhouse may not prove to be as useful as some would suggest.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    I would dispute Esko's assertion that there are no successful social media implementations inside firewalls.
    Large organisations can attain the critical mass necessary for social media to work sustainably. You can see it in Deloitte's case studies for Yammer. I've even seen it in my own organisation.
    The key thing is for the firewall to be porous, so that information from outside can get in and vice versa. Yammer and Socialcast do this particularly well through their integrations with Twitter etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,

    Mark,thanks for your comment. I think the key point I would take from what you say is the fact that the firewall should be porous. Your experience indicates that SoMe implementations can work inside a firewall providing there is some way to connect to the outside world. Unfortunately nothing has changed in the location I described above and so I am not in a position to find out either way!

    ReplyDelete